Ginetta Cars was founded in 1958 by the four Walklett brothers (Bob, Ivor, Trevers and Douglas) in Woodbridge, Suffolk, England. The cars are currently (2011) made in Garforth, West Yorkshire.
The first car, not destined for production, which subsequently became known as the G1 was based on a pre war Wolseley Hornet. From their original base, the company moved to Witham, Essex in 1962 and between 1972 and 1974 operated from larger premises in Sudbury, Suffolk before returning to Witham where they remained until 1989.
Under the Walkletts, Trevers was mainly responsible for styling, Ivor for engineering, Douglas, management and Bob sales. The company enjoyed 31 years of solvent trading without any Government handouts and under the skilful leadership of Bob Walklett the company always adapted to suit the economic conditions of the day.
Following the retirement of the Walkletts in 1989 the company was sold but failed and was then bought by an international group of enthusiasts and based in Sheffield and run by managing director Martin Phaff producing the G20 and G33.
In late 2005 Ginetta was acquired by LNT Automotive, a company run by Yorkshire businessman and racing car driver Lawrence Tomlinson and in mid 2007 Ginetta moved to a state-of-the-art factory near Leeds to replace the Sheffield works with a target to sell 300 cars a year including the G40 G50 and G55.
In March 2010, Ginetta acquired British sports car manufacturer Farbio re-badged the Ginetta F400. In March 2011, Ginetta launched its latest model the G55, running in the GT4 Michelin Ginetta GT Supercup and contender for GT3.